Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Camping

The greatest part about New Zealand is there is always something fun to do. Weather you go up to the mountains, go on a hike, mountain bike, or camp, there is always something fun and relatively close. I went camping again this weekend. It was the same beach that I went camping on a few weeks ago, except we were in a different cave this time, a much smaller and cozier one. I'd like to go camping in other areas too, but I don't think this cave will ever get old anytime soon. There is just nothing like sleeping in a cave on the beach, hanging out with friends at night, and playing a few acoustic guitars. It was a really good night besides the fact that I barely got any sleep and the wet wood made it nearly impossible to get a fire going. But it was fun.

Here is a picture of the cave we were in.



This weekend I am going to Temple Basin which they claim is "In bounds backcountry" in New Zealand. I'm doing a freeride competition there so it should be a really fun time. Supposedly Temple Basin is a members only backcountry kind of place to ski, so I am really excited to be able to go this weekend. I'm going with the Otago University Alpine Sports Club, which is why I'm able to go. I'll update later with pictures on how it was.

Next week is the last week before semester break, which means soon I will get to do some more camping in new spots and explore many places I wouldn't be able to visit in just a weekend. But before then I have a test and two papers due, so it might be a long week of working and studying. For semester break I am traveling to the north island and doing a massive road trip to a bunch of different places, the final destination being the Bay of Islands, which I am really excited about. We are going to go hiking, camping, kayaking, and some of us probably surfing and diving. I am super excited.

Just thought I'd do a short update on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment