Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Catlins

I really do apologize that I have gotten lazy with my blog. I forgot my password and blogspot was being weird about email addresses not letting me log in. After some tinkering and a little help from Mama Tarras things worked out and now I am back.

A couple weekends ago in early November, some friends and I went on a day trip down to the Catlins. The Catlins are literally as far south as you can go on the south island of New Zealand. Stewart Island, which is technically not a part of New Zealand because its an island, is the only thing further south. The Catlins are about a 2 hour drive south of Dunedin and then you have to do a bit of driving once you are there to see the various things. In the Catlins we did a few different small hikes and saw plenty of amazing beaches, waterfalls, cliffs, and other things. Here are a few photos of some of the beautiful things we saw.


McLean Falls


Up higher at McLean

The top of McLean

Another waterfall, can't remember the name

Slope Point

The cliffs near Slope Point

Southern most point on the South Island

Windswept forest

On our way out of the Catlins we saw this yard that had crazy metal sculptures and objects all over the place surrounding a large bus. On the side of the bus it said "Lost Gypsy Gallery." We stopped. Inside was a guy who spends all his time in a room full of hundreds of tools and pieces of junk. He sits there all day listening to music making gadgets and trinkets for people to play with. He said the bus took him 5 years to make. This place was amazing, I could have spent hours in there looking around.

No comments:

Post a Comment